ONLINE: Convergent Facilitation: A Path to Efficient, Collaborative Decision-Making
ABOUT THE COURSE
We see the devastating consequences of what happens when affected stakeholders aren't involved in making a decision at all levels of society –
- Governmental policies that harm the communities they serve
- Organizational decisions that harm workers and the environment
- Family decisions that don't involve children and result in loss of trust and collaboration
Many people want to involve all stakeholders in a decision but fear doing so will be hopelessly inefficient and result in no decision at all.
Happily, there's a process known as Convergent Facilitation, that offers you ready solutions.
It's based on one simple fact: that connections between people happen at the level of their underlying principles, needs, aspirations, and dreams, not at the level of their surface positions.
Convergent Facilitation is a highly efficient decision-making process developed by Miki Kashtan from the principles of Nonviolent Communication and codified in close collaboration with Lisa Rothman. It enables you to look beneath the surface and find the fundamental human needs members of any group hold in common. As a result, it readily produces connections and alignment.
This method is uniquely effective because it:
- Taps into a group's shared purpose, and leads to decisions that everyone truly supports — without sacrificing productivity, efficiency, and forward momentum.
- Is very versatile: it may be used for fast emergency responses, for breaking through bottlenecks, or collaborating throughout the life cycle of a long-term project.
- Gives you tools to address power differences so everyone at the table can speak frankly about what really matters to them. It even works with highly polarized groups, like the longtime political enemies who recently used Convergent Facilitation to pass landmark legislation in Minnesota.
Who It's For
If you work with groups that struggle to make decisions or collaborate effectively, this course is for you.
- Team leaders: Reap the benefits of whole-hearted collaboration; create buy-in at all levels; enjoy a more cohesive team that makes better decisions informed by stakeholder needs.
- Community organizers and activists: Learn to bring people's core concerns to the surface, and reach consensus decisions where no one is marginalized — all while avoiding long, draining, and divisive meetings.
- Facilitators: Zoom in on the source of conflicts, and learn transformative, practical options that work even when your group seems completely stuck.
- Mediators: Receive new tools to help any number of parties work towards breakthrough solutions, using a process that is transparent to all.
What You Can Take Away
- A practical, step-by-step process for discovering breakthrough solutions to problems that seemed unsolvable.
- Strategies that help people transcend conflicts, stretch beyond their initial positions, and embrace a decision that attends to everyone's needs
- Many ways of keeping a meeting moving forward without leaving anyone behind.